We're back! There are a lot of words to describe Julie and my trip to the Terai, but I'll pick out a few: mud, mosquitos, motorcycles, oxcarts, ministry, challenges, encouragement, preaching, teaching, learning, growing, holy men, and more!
We set off from Kathmandu, flying with Buddha Air to Simara, and from there we rode another two hours by Jeep to one of the main centers for the ministry, but it wasn't our final destination that day.
So we set off to by motorcycles, Bob and Julie on one, and myself on the other with some of our luggage. This remote village was to be our base from which we set out to do ministry. Our first day of ministry began with a monthly leadership meeting, which and I both spoke at. As a gift from the churches, we both received traditional Maithali outfits! Julie got a sari (and a lot of make-up and jewelry), and I got a Lungi, which is basically a man version of the outfits you've seen Julie wearing most often. We were very blessed by their gift!

I gave a message in the morning, and Julie and I tag-teamed a lesson for newly married couples. This picture is of the men attending the marriage talk.

One of the great experiences of this leadership meeting was the time for worship through music. Not only do the believers write their own music, but they also love to praise God through dance! Julie and I both were beckoned to join in, so we obliged - it's really too bad that Julie didn't get a good picture of me dancing too. I can't tell you how sad I am about that... what, you don't believe me? I don't either. It's alright though, because Julie pulled it off really well!

After the leader's meeting, we rode home and relaxed over good food and fellowship. We rested the next day, and prepared our hearts for some exciting and challenging days ahead!
Here is a picture of the ministry team for the day. Believe it or not, we packed these seven people, their equipment, Julie, two other ladies, me, and my guitar into a five passenger Jeep! We went into different villages preaching, singing, and answering questions they had about our faith. I have a video to show how their traditional music sounds, but I haven't had any success, so you'll have to ask me to show you later!
Here's one of the Hindu holy men we talked to. From what we gathered, it seemed like this guy was the type of holy man who did it for a living - to get free bus/jeep/train rides and food handed to him, and not so much to actually seek after the truth. Still, you gotta give him credit for having such ridiculously long hair!
This holy man, on the other hand, was very devout and earnestly seeking for truth - in fact, he was also the main village priest. He appreciated what we shared with him a lot. Pray for this man as he has been searching a long time, and feels like he's finally discovering the truth.

We finished the day off by visitting a house fellowship, where Julie shared a wonderful teaching on learning to listen to the 'still small voice' of God. The people there were very blessed.
There are so many more stories to share from this trip. I could mention riding a water buffalo, hitting a different water buffalo with a guitar, falling off a motorcycle with a respected church leader on the back (we were both fine, just really really dusty!), and more, but those stories will have to wait for another day. For now, I want to first of all thank you for your thoughts and prayers so far - this trip wouldn't have been so richly blessed without them. Second of all, I would like you to keep this family in your prayers.

The man in this picture is a very wonderful and Godly christian leader. He provided musical accompaniment, encouragement, and a lot of laughter on our trip. Since he became a Christian, his life has very drastically changed. Where he used to beat and abuse his wife, he now loves her sacrificially and encourages her. Where he used to steal, he now works honestly. Despite seeing all of this turnaround, his wife has not become a Christian. She desires to do so earnestly, but refuses to make such a commitment because of the threat of her mother-in-law. This woman feels that her mother-in-law will have her killed when she becomes a Christian. While we were visitting with her, she confided that she 'needed to become a Christian,' which she has previously never said. Pray that she will be true to what she has said and what she knows God is calling her to do.
Thanks for reading! I know it was a bit text-heavy, so thanks also for your time. Prayer, encouragement, and comments are all much appreciated! As a way of saying thanks, enjoy this picture of our favorite elderly village man's first attempt at ice cream on a stick, or maybe even ice cream period! I know you can't see it, but he has half his teeth, and the one's remaining aren't so pretty. Enjoy, and look forward to more to come!





April 20, 2010 at 8:42 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the news, fun stories and reminders to pray! We are praying and are thakful for your willingness to serve the Lord in this way. Thanks for not getting hurt in your motorcycle spill! We love you!! Mom (and Dad)
April 21, 2010 at 8:35 AM
Julie and Mark
Not only would Rich Mullins and Carmen be proud of your work, but you have Corrie Ten Boom and Keith Green and Twila Paris cheering you on
=)
oh and Tait