Thursday, March 11, 2010

Coffee Bellies Are Sexy!

Thursday, March 11, 2010 6 comments




Before I get into my actual "blogging" I wanted to share this with you. We have already experienced much joy on this trip. However, God sometimes sends us extra blessings of laughter. This is an example. A church leader gave us coffee in these amazing mugs. Of course, they have no idea what the mugs say. But, Mark and I both found this highly entertaining. It was a wonderful way to start the day! Nepalis have many things written in English that they do not quite understand. Another example is a woman in church who had a hankie. Now, this might not sound unusual. However, a huge picture of marijuana and the words "Leagalize it!" change the story entirely.




Greetings Family, Friends, and Prayer Partners (maybe you qualify as all three of these!) Bringing the post to you today is the prettier half of this duo! In fact, this is my first blog post EVER! I hope you can find some enjoyment as well as encouragement through what I share.
This last week Mark and I traveled to the areas of Chitwan and Nawalparasi. If you do not know where these areas are, in the words of my Daddy, "Look it up!" John and Sangi Vanlal were our guides, interpreters and friends on this journey. I will be sharing what took place the first half of the week. In the next few days, Mark will finish it up with details with the rest of our journey.

One of the purposes of this trip was to pass out blankets. "Pass out blankets," you say? Yes! This was my thought before we departed as well. However, God has been good in showing me how He works...even through blankets. Every Christmas, Evangelical Friends Mission facilitates a fundraiser type Christmas Project. Mark and I have participated in years past. Basically, in lieu of purchasing as many gifts for loved ones, one is able to purchase items for others (such as blankets) in honor of a family member or friend. Goats, sewing machines, bicycles, education, and much more are examples of items that many of our missionaries need and/or the people they are serving need.

Four of the first days were spent passing out said blankets. We traveled to many villages; by jeep, walking, driving, motorcycling; often sweating but always smiling. The people in these remote villages were so blessed to receive their blankets. They were praising God for taking care of their children, for the fact that they would not have to keep a fire going on all night, and for providing what they needed. What a blessing to partake in God's outpouring of love to His children. Most families cannot afford these types of items we take for granted. While in the villages, we were able to share encouragement, food, laughter and love with these Nepalis. I'd say the hikes, drives, and so on were worth it. But, I'll let you decide!

Here are some of the church members holding up their blankets.
Women saying "Thank You" with blankets in hand...some on head!
Cute old Nepali man! He explained how he used to have to keep a fire going all night for warmth. Despite cutting into sleeping time, this also caused sores and dry skin on the back and hands. He was grateful to God for His love and provision.

While "blanketing" we were also able visit with several of the believers. This little baby is Nira. She is about eight months old. And she felt like she weighed four pounds. We were able to pray for her. I was able to give the mother advice for malnourished babies, and we bought some baby food for her. Please pray for Nira and her young mother.
This is my handsome husband on the "Indiana Jones Bridge!" We crossed this bridge over a river. It would have been a long drop!
These are the type of "hills" we climbed. Churches are scattered all over beautiful Nepal!


So this is why I asked if it was worth it! My feet were really suffering for Jesus in this picture. Never wear cheap sandals when walking up mountains! Actually, it looks so much worse than it was. And John, Sangi and the leaders took care of me. But, continue to pray as they heal. On that note, I have been experiencing intense back pain at night. I wake up with pain that shoots down my back into my left leg. It is fine during the day. However, I wake up a lot at night with this pain. Please continue to pray for our health as we serve in this unique environment!


Please know that God can work through anything, even the little items we use everyday. I want to thank those who participated in the EFM Christmas project! Many Nepalis are so grateful that you did. God bless you.
Love, us




Posted in

6 comments:

  1. Andy & Bryanna says:

    Oh Julie you have sweet feet. Mark, I hope you out ran the crazy natives as they tried to get your stones on the Indy bridge. Andy and I love you guys!

  2. Tyla says:

    WOW! Thank you so much for sharing the great pics and stories! God is good and we are grateful He is seeing you through and then some! Wish I could take care of thsoe sweet feet!
    We will continue to pray and we send you all our love! Mom and Dad

  3. morgan says:

    I am so encouraged by your words and minsistry, God is awesome!! Love you guys and thanks for sharing what you are doing.

  4. Unknown says:

    I love the update! Keep up the great work and I pray your feet and back feel better!

  5. Debby McElroy says:

    It's good to see your beautiful smiling faces! Leaving for Mexico in the morning, I'll eat some Jugos in your honor! :-) Love you!

  6. Frank Penna says:

    I was sorry to hear about some of the difficulties for your back and feet. I am glad you guys are filled with joy and laughter. Your ministry is very encouraging and it issurely making a difference in many lives. Love you
    -Paola

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones